Regular exercise is vital to a healthy lifestyle, and there are a lot of choices when it comes to what type of activity we can or want to do. High-impact exercise might not always be possible, or the best option. It may even have a negative impact on your bones and joints. For this reason, many are turning to low-impact exercise
What is Low-Impact Exercise?
Low-impact exercise puts less stress on your bones, joints, knees, hips, and ankles, than high-impact exercise and it is an effective alternative to high-impact exercise for staying healthy. Low-impact exercise can even help you lose weight says Paige Waehner, a certified personal trainer with the American Council on Exercise.
Square dancing is the 'super-food' of low-impact exercise. It combines low-impact exercise, cognitive activity, music, and friends—all in one fun package!
Reasons To Avoid High-impact Exercise
—Just starting an exercise program
—Prefer low-impact exercise
When you include exercise into your routine it will have a positive impact for your mind and body. When you are inactive, it will increase your chances of high blood pressure, high cholesterol, and weight gain.
Common Types Of Low-impact Exercise
5. Water aerobics
Benefits of Low-Impact Exercise
— Slowly increase your muscle strength and endurance.
— Help with weight loss.
— Improve cardiovascular health and reduce the risk of developing cardiovascular disease.
— Improve mental acuity for all ages.
Square Dancing is Fun
1. It's so much fun you can't help but smile and laugh.
2. Easy to learn, providing a great sense of accomplishment and teamwork.
3. Dance to music including Rhythm and Blues, Golden Oldies, Gospel, Rock, Country and Western, Holiday Songs, Current favorites and even Classical tunes.
4. A stress reducer. If you make a mistake, half the fun is figuring out how to get where you need to go. We laugh as we learn.
5. A good way to meet people and make new friends. It is more social than other dances since you dance with three other changing couples in your square.
6. An activity that can be done by almost anyone. You do not have to be graceful or coordinated to square dance. You don’t have to worry about stepping on your partner’s toes, because you are usually going in different directions. No fancy footwork is required.